Published on: October 22, 2023
Police Martyrs’ Day
Why in news? Police Martyrs’ Day is celebrated every year on 21st of October.
- History -On October 21, 1959, ten brave Policemen were martyred at Hot Springs in Ladakh by the Chinese Army inside Indian territory
- To honour the memory of these 10 valiant Policemen, the DGsP/IGsP Conference that was held in 1962 decided to observe October 21 as Police Commemoration Day every year in the country.
- Significance -It honours and pay tribute to police officers who sacrificed their lives in the line of duty
- Feature-The parade is held every year since 2012 at the police memorial in Chanakyapuri, Delhi
- India’s first national police museum in delhi was inaugurated on October 15th 2018 to honor and showcase the bravery of Indian police person
- The museum is handled by Intelligence Bureau and the central armed police forces( CAPF) and it depicts the history, uniform and gear of Indian central and state police forces