Why in news?
Advocate’s Day in India is observed on December 03, 2022. It is celebrated by the lawyer community to mark the birth anniversary of Rajendra Prasad, India’s First President and a very eminent lawyer.
- He was an Indian politician, lawyer, Indian independence activist, journalist & scholar who served as the first president of Republic of India from 1950 to 1962
- Joined the INC during the Independence Movement and became a major leader of Bihar and Maharashtra.
- Prasad was imprisoned by British authorities during the Salt Satyagraha of 1931 and Quit India movement . Played a prominent role in the Champaran Movement and Non-cooperation Movement.
- Served as Minister of Food and Agriculture in the interim cabinet
- Upon independence in 1947, he was elected as President of the Constituent Assembly of India
- Only president to serve two full terms and stayed in office for the longest term of around 12 years.
- He wrote articles for the revolutionary publications Searchlight and the Desh.
- President of the INC : Bombay session in October 1934
Appointed as one of the first members of the Senate and of the Patna University.