Published on: January 3, 2022
SAVITRI BAI PHULE
cheap generic cytotec no prescription Birth anniversary of Savitri Bai Phule celebrated
- Born in Naigaon in Maharashtra on January 3, 1831
- Widely regarded as one of India’s first generation modern feminists for her significant contributions in ensuring equal education opportunities under the British raj.
- Became the first female teacher in India in 1848
- Opened a school for girls along with her husband, social reformer Jyotirao Phule.
- Worked against discrimination based on caste-based identity
- Established a shelter for widows in 1854 , which later accommodated destitute women and child brides cast aside by their families by 1864
- Played a pivotal role in directing the work of the Satyashodhak Samaj, formed by her husband with the objective to achieve equal rights for the marginalised lower castes.
- Opened a clinic in 1897 for victims of the bubonic plague that spread across Maharashtra just before the turn of the century.
- Set up “Balhatya Pratibandhak Griha”.
- In her honour, University of Pune was renamed Savitribai Phule University in 2014.