Published on: August 25, 2021
SHREE NARAYANA GURU
http://dnasab.net/video/ What is in news : The Prime Minister has paid tributes to Sree Narayana Guru on his Jayanti.
rallentando SHRI NARAYANA GURU
- 1856 – 1928
- Social reformer
- Credited with transforming the social fabric of kerala and changing the beliefs of keralites in ways unimaginable at that point in time.
- Born into an Ezhava family in an era when people from such communities, which were regarded as Avarna, faced much social injustice in the caste-ridden society of Kerala.
- Led a reform movement in Kerala, rejected casteism, and promoted new values of spiritual freedom and social equality.
- Stressed the need for the spiritual and social upliftment of the downtrodden by their own efforts through the establishment of temples and educational institutions.
- In the process, he denounced the superstitions that clouded the fundamental Hindu cultural convention of caste.
- Preached the ‘oneness’ of humanity, crossing the boundaries of caste and creed.
- In 1888, he installed an idol of siva at Aravippuram in Kerala in his effort to show that the consecration of god’s image was not a monopoly of the brahmins. This is popularly known as Aravippuram movement.
- In one temple he consecrated at Kalavancode, he kept mirrors instead of idols. This symbolised his message that the divine was within each individual.
- Founded an Advaita Ashram in Kalady.
- Lent his support to the Vaikkom Satyagraha which was aimed at temple entry in Travancore for the lower castes. Mahatma Gandhi met Guru during this time.