Published on: December 14, 2022
Why in news? Raichur district has become the first confirmed Zika virus case in the state.
- Zika virus cases were found in Kerala, Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh.
- Virus family : Flaviviridae
- Spread by daytime-active Aedes mosquitoes ( aegypti and albopictus) in tropical and subtropical regions.
- Origin: Zika Forest of Uganda
- Shares a genus with the dengue, yellow fever, Japanese encephalitis, and West Nile viruses
- Symptoms : No or only mild symptoms, similar to a very mild form of dengue fever.
- Treatment/ vaccination : No specific treatment and vaccine
- Can spread from a pregnant person to their baby results in microcephaly, severe brain malformations and other birth defects
- Transmission ways : Through sexual contact or blood transfusions.
- Vertebrate hosts : Primarily monkeys with only occasional transmission to humans.