Published on: January 6, 2022
ZOJI LA PASS
Border Roads Organisation breaks record at Zoji La battling extreme weather conditions
WHAT WAS DONE
- For the first time BRO has kept the formidable Zoji mountain pass (altitude 11,649 ft) open beyond 31st December.
- BRO’s frontline Projects Beacon and Vijayak have been working round the clock in extreme weather conditions to keep the logistic supply line open to the Union Territory of Ladakh.
ABOUT ZOJI LA PASS
- Located in the Kargil district of Ladakh.
- Connects Leh and Kashmir
- Links the UTs of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
- During winters, the pass remains closed due to heavy snowfall, cutting off the region of Ladakh during this period.
- There was an emergent need for stockpiling of essential commodities in the UT of Ladakh.
- Project Beacon and Project Vijayak cleared fresh snow around Zojilla at the height of 11,500 feet and made the road motorable.
- The projects were undertaken by the BRO.
ABOUT BORDER ROADS ORGANISATION (BRO)
- Develops and maintains road networks in India’s border areas and friendly neighbouring countries.
- Officers from the Border Roads Engineering Service (BRES) and personnel from the General Reserve Engineer Force (GREF) form the parent cadre of the Border Roads Organisation.
- Staffed by officers and troops drawn from the Indian Army’s Corps of Engineers on extra regimental employment (on Deputation).
- Headquartered in New Delhi, the BRO is under the Ministry of Defence, GOI.